Saturday, June 7, 2014

48 Hour Book Challenge - Halfway Check-In



All right folks, I'm officially halfway through my 48 Hour Book Challenge. If you're participating too, how are you doing? Are you bleary-eyed and experiencing book hangover like I am? Usually I like to take a little bit of time after finishing a book to let it sink in and resonate. Not this time, though - I'm blasting straight from one title to the next like a champion!

Here's a look at my stack so far:


Halfway point reading time: 11 hours
Halfway point amount read: 4.5 books 

I plan to write more in-depth blog posts about each title later, but here's a one-sentence review of each:

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor: Magical realism at its best, in a story set in Nigeria and steeped in mysticism and imagination - unforgettable!

The Great Wall of Lucy Wu by Wendy Wan-Long Shang: A story about finding who you are and accepting where you come from, even as you try to blend in with the crowd - brilliant middle-grade reading.

P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia: The sequel to One Crazy Summer, the story of three girls reconciling their experiences with the mother they never knew, as they return to their familiar life that suddenly isn't the same - history, humor and heart!

Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina: Incredible voice and characters collide in this story of a young Latina girl who suddenly finds herself the focal point of a bully's ire - and must reconcile her past with the person she feels forced to become.

Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus: Halfway through this one, so no real review yet - but an interesting based-on-true events story of a Japanese boy who becomes part of the crew of an American whaler in 1841.

SUCH a fantastic crop of books so far, you guys! Now I'm off to do a little tidying, work on my project and rest up before diving back in for more terrific diverse kidlit. Hope you're enjoying your 48 hours too!

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I loved Lucy Wu and can't wait for Shang's next book! It bothers me that over the summer she has to live right next to the Darren Shan books in my library! You have a great pile of books.