Sunday, November 9, 2014

30 Days of Diverse Picture Books - I Know a Lot! by Stephen Krensky

It's Day 9 of our 30 Days of Diverse Picture Books. What's your favorite thing about picture books? At the top of my list has to be the closeness that they engender. When you read a picture book to a young child, you are building memories and relationships that will last a lifetime.



Tonight's pick is a board book that I absolutely love -- I Know a Lot! by Stephen Krensky. I first saw this title on a cart of new materials at work; the cover jumped right out at me, for the colors and retro feel as well as the adorable braided girl on the front cover. Sara Gillingham did the illustrations and they are terrific, the feel of classics updated for a new generation.

The other thing I really love about I Know a Lot! is the confidence-building aspect. The heroine is a preschooler, and she's proud of what she knows, sharing many facts with readers as she goes through her day with family and friends. Krensky works in opposites and other concepts quite cleverly, for an added bonus. And the diverse cast plus comforting rhythms of the text make this a winner for babies on up through preschool.

Put I Know a Lot! in a bin or on a shelf at eye level and little ones will be reaching for it every time. Look for more in Krensky and Gillingham's Empowerment Series (I Am So Brave! is another favorite of ours) for high-quality board books you and your kiddos will adore!

I Know a Lot! by Stephen Krensky, published by Abrams Appleseed

No comments: